If you’re looking to be original on your special day, an considering that you’re going for a Victorian themed Quinceañera, you should go for a British traditional dessert: Victorian sponge cake.
A traditional Victoria sponge cake is one of Britain’s favourite treats for afternoon tea and as well as being delicious, it’s incredibly simple to make.
The cake consists of two layers of cake sandwiched together with jam and buttercream. There are variations on the recipe with some people using fresh fruit or cream in the filling, but this one is a classic.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F and prepare two 6 inch round baking tins by greasing and flouring them.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar. Make sure the sugar is well mixed in to the butter. The texture should be light and fluffy.
3. Crack four eggs into a separate bowl, ensuring that you remove any stray pieces of shell. With the mixer on slow speed add the eggs, one at a time, to the batter. After each egg is added, mix thoroughly to ensure it is incorporated completely before you add the next.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to the batter. If you sift the flour a couple of times, you’ll get more air into it and the result will be a lighter cake.
5. Mix until the flour is incorporated and then add the milk. Stir the milk into the cake batter.
6. Divide the cake batter as equally as possible between your two prepared cake pans and put in the oven for approximately 25 minutes. It’s safest to check the cakes after 20 minutes and give them an additional 5 minutes if necessary. The cakes are ready when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The sponges should be springy to the touch.
7. After removing from the oven, leave in the cake tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Once completely cooled, spread raspberry jam (or any other kind you like) onto one half. Spread buttercream over the other half of the cake and then carefully sandwich the two layers together. Lightly dust the top with icing sugar and serve.
You will surely impress your guests!!