Menstrual cramps are a girl’s worst enemy! Whether you’re slim or curvy, it can happen to anyone. If you’re a chica suffering from really bad menstrual cramps we’ve got good news for you! There are simple things you can do to alleviate the pain to more tolerable levels without using any damaging over-the-counter drugs.
Follow these tips and defeat the pain of menstrual cramps!
1. With the help of pillows, elevate your legs a foot or two above your body: The key to relieve menstrual cramps is to find ways to relax your uterine muscles. This strategy is excellent to force your uterine muscles to relax.
2. Avoid Coffee: Caffeine in coffee, soda, and chocolate can make your cramps feel worse so avoid at all costs before and after your period! If you’re really craving a hot drink, try a decaffeinated chamomile tea. This tea will work wonders because it contains glycine, a substance that relieves muscle spasms which ultimately helps relax the uterus.
3. Use a Heating Pad: Place a heating pad on your stomach or lower back. You can also take a relaxing warm bath to calm your muscles. Put a cup of Epsom salts in the bath and soak in for at least 30 minutes. Another option is adding a cup of sea salt and a cup of baking soda to further relax the muscles. Soak away and enjoy your moment of me time!
4. Have a Banana: Cramps can occur as a result of potassium deficiency. Bananas as well as white beans, leafy greens, fish, and dried fruits contain high levels of potassium. So hide the chips and munch away on bananas!
5. Exercise to keep your body moving: 30 minutes of exercise three times a week will not only promote good overall health but it also relieves menstrual cramps. Try doing something as light as walking or something that you enjoy such as dancing. Squeeze in some yoga for added effectiveness. Anything is better than nothing!
Available for iPhone & Android